Sunday, August 31, 2008

Heavy Heart, Amazing God

Well, I made it through the first week of school again! More on that later...It's been a rough week for many of those that I know.

Tuesday, we got a call that one of the girls on our Varsity Team was taking her dad to the hospital. He is 39 and did not have any prior health problems, but they found him not breathing that morning. They rushed him to the hospital and kept him on life support for much of the day, but finally took him off late in the afternoon. It was her second day of school her senior year, and she lost her father. The team has been amazing about being there for her. We all attended the viewing on Thursday. Please pray for her as she goes through this hard time.

When I left the viewing I got a call from one of the mom's of a girl on my JV team that her grandfather had passed away. She was supposed to see him for the first time in awhile this weekend.

Both girls could use as much support as possible right now, your prayers are greatly appreciated.

Friday night I spoke with one of my best friends who lost her job earlier that day unjustly. She is an amazing woman who has dedicated much of her life the past 7 years to serving children and growing the program, so this is a very painful and frustrating time. Please pray for God to give her peace and surround her in His love as he guides her on a new path.

Saturday morning I received word that the two sons of the head band director were involved in an accident with a drunk driver the night before. One, a freshman in high school was treated and as I understand released yesterday. His older son however, a senior in high school, was care flighted to the hospital and was in ICU in a medically induced come for what they thought would be 72 hours because they believed he had brain hemorrhaging.

I did not know it but the family used to attend the church my parents are now attending. This morning the whole church took time to stop and pray for him. Less than 30 minutes later they received word he had woken up on his own and told his parents he wanted to go home. Praise God!!! It gave me chills when I heard it.

Whenever I hear about situations and accidents like this it truly makes me stop, and think back to our accident. I know the feelings and the fear and pain the family is going through. I am still so eternally grateful for all of the people that prayed for Mandy and my family during that time. I was overwhelmed with the response in prayer that we received in that time. I know that truly made a difference then and once again, we have seen the power of prayer come to life.

From experience I know that the worst isn't over for his son and family in the coming days, weeks, months. and possibly years, so I ask that you please, please continue pray for him. His name is Justin. I will keep you updated on the situation.

So, it has been an emotionally draining week as my heart has hurt for these people. But I know I am where I am supposed to be right now, and even through all of this, and somewhat even more because of it, I am confident in the plan and purpose God has for me now.

Speaking of school, I think I managed pretty well this week. I am floating from classroom to classroom, upstairs to downstairs, from one side of the building to the other each period, and I was anxious about how that would work out last week. I think I have a system now. I have a classroom in a box. Ha ha! You think I am kidding, but I'm totally not. It is teaching me to be more creative and flexible in my teaching.

The varsity drill team had their first football game this past week and their performance was wonderful! They did such a good job, I was so thrilled for them, and excited to be a part of it all. My JV team's first performance is this week...I hope we are ready in time! Also, although this is small compared to my other prayer requests, please pray that the tropical storm that is supposed to arrive in our area on Thursday doesn't make my girls not be able to perform that night. They have worked so hard all summer, I really hope we are able to pull it off, and that the weather cooperates!

It's been a trying week, but I believe through it all that I serve an amazing God who is watching over and caring for each of these situations. Well, that's all for now. Thanks for praying and I will keep you updated. I am working on getting some pictures up soon as well.

1 comment:

Ingram Gang said...

wow!
So much terrible news takes its toll on you. Hope the last few days have been better.