Lyrics to "I Loved Her First" by Heartland
Look at the two of you dancing that wayLost in the moment and each others face
So much in love your alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world
I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one
She told me so
And she still means the world to me
Just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything
Life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way
But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it still hard to give her away
I loved her first
How could that beautiful women with you
Be the same freckle face kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairy tales to
And tucked into bed all those nights
And I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time
But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But its still hard to give her away
I loved her first
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
Someday you might know what I'm going through
When a miracle smiles up at you
I loved her first
Almost a year ago I had the privilege and honor of dancing to this song with one of the most important men in my life (Don’t worry, you in good company…Jesus & Jason!) I think back to the first time I heard this song I thought of many special times that we have shared throughout my lifetime, some that I remember, and some that you have told me about. Not many little girls and young women are not fortunate enough to have a dad as special as you.
I am so thankful for the unconditional love that you have always and will always have for me. I never once questioned that in my heart. I am also grateful for the love of God that you have and have shared with your family, friends, and others. Your faith, continual trust, and obedience in the Lord in all that you have said and done throughout your lifetime have taught me more than one could ever imagine.
I think the greatest lesson of all that you have taught me is the phrase that you have told me each first day of school, and a few other big days in my lifetime… “Remember who you are, and whose you are.” That phrased has grown in meaning to me as I have gotten older and realized more of who I am, what I stand for, and what I believe. But it has always remained a constant reminder of the greatest lesson of all…whose I am. That I am God’s child, and that he sent his Son to die for my sins, so that I may have eternal life. This small phrase of just a few words has seen me through some of the most nerve wracking times in my life. And it is one I know that I will continue to share with my children someday.
I am so thankful to have a father whose love has opened the doors to revealing Christ’s love to me in a very real way. As the song says I know that a place in your heart will always be mine, as will a place in my heart yours. I may have grown up and be married, but I will always treasure that place in your heart as the song says, and knowing that I will always be your little girl. Your wisdom and understanding of life and the Lord, as well as your ability to listen and discern have helped me through some very difficult times in the past few years, and I am so grateful for that.
I treasure the stories of how you would walk to me and sing to me at night to put me to bed. I treasure the fun times we had looking for animals underneath your bed and being so silly! I treasure every time you came to my dance performances, and that you played that large of a role in that part of my life. I treasure the excitement and love you have for Texas Tech!
Another thing I treasure is the way you have loved and accepted Jason into your family as your son. The first time I heard this song, it brought tears to my eyes, and I knew it was the perfect song for you and me to dance to at our wedding. Two of the lines that really stood out to me were the line that said “I prayed that she'd find you someday,” and, “And I knew the first time I saw you with her; It was only a matter of time…” I know that for many years you prayed for my future husband…and I love the story of how when you came to Lubbock that first time you knew that there was more to the story, when I told you and mom that Jason had asked me to be his girlfriend, and how you sensed that we were getting more serious when you came up and we told you we had started to talk about marriage. I am so thankful for all the ways you were involved in planning our wedding, and for the special moments we shared before and while you walked me down the aisle, kissed me as you gave my hand to Jason, and shared our father daughter dance.
Thank you for everything daddy. I treasure who you are, and whose you have taught me I am. I know that your strength , wisdom, and unconditional love are a result of your faithfulness and love for the Lord, and I am grateful for the legacy you have created, and hope that Jason and I can continue to live that legacy as well and pass it on.
Happy Father’s Day 2008! I love you with ALL of my heart!
Lindsey Anne

No comments:
Post a Comment