Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tribute to Mom

So this is a little late, but I wrote it before Mother's Day for my mom and still wanted to post it...


I was listening to the radio Friday night before Mother’s Day and people were calling in to share stories and anecdotes about their moms. One caller was asked to name the most important lesson she had learned from her mom…That got me thinking…What was the most important thing I have learned from my mom? There have been so many!

Most of the things I’ve learned from my mom have been through observation by the example she has given me in the life she leads. One of the things that stands out most about my mother is how she loves the people in her life with God’s love. And by God’s love I mean an agape type of love. A love that is unconditional and never ending. She is a true servant to all of those around her. One way I saw this growing up was in the time, effort, and dedication that my mom gave of herself and her family to take care of my grandparents. My grandmother suddenly passed away when I was seven years old of cancer. For the next six years my mother took care of my grandfather. He was in and out of the hospital sometimes multiple time each year, and she remained steadfast in her dedication to him to be able to continue to live in his home until he passed away. Many times this involved spending days, weeks, and even months in the hospital at his bedside and then in rehab. Each time he came home, we would go to stay with him until he was able to stay on his own again, and then she would go check on him each day. I do not know of another daughter who so greatly sacrificed herself for the sake of her father’s independence and quality of life. Through all of this however she continued to serve her husband as a loving wife, and be there in every way for me as a mom. My mom always made me feel like I was the most important thing in the world to her. She stayed home with me when I was young and then chose a change in career path in order to devote time to me during holidays and summers. She always supported me and encouraged me in school and is a big reason that I was blessed to achieve the accomplishments that I did academically. She also supported me in dance and helped me to develop a passion which has lead me to career I am pursuing today. I hope to be able to be the kind of mom that she was and is to me today to my future children. I hope to be the mom that encourages and inspires her children to be all they can be and more. I hope to be the kind of mom that teaches her children unconditional love, truth, forgiveness, integrity, and faith by example. And in my first year of marriage I have realized how much my mother taught me about being a wife. My mom has always built up my father in my eyes. She always respected him and taught me to respect him as well. She always encouraged my dad and supported him as the head of the household. She loved him and loved his family with the same love that she did her own. Through her I have learned to encourage my own husband and that marriage is a partnership which is held together by unconditional love and deep respect regardless of the circumstances of life. The phrase, “Actions speaks louder than words” truly represents my mother’s love and the legacy that she has past on to me. My mother has truly lived her life as a servant to God and those around her, just as Jesus once instructed, “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant.”


I got my mom this Willow Tree Angel for Mother's Day...It stands for Courage, but the inscription was for someone who has a triumphant spirit, shows courage, and is an inspiration through their daily life...I hope this is a reminder to my mom how inspirational she is to me and many others!

No comments: