Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dancing Before Jesus

I saw this tonight on TV and thought it was awesome and wanted to share it!

Alive Music & Dance with John Tesh

I have danced for most of my life. It is a gift and passion that God blessed me with, and a refuge I would turn to in times of stress to release and let go. I minored in dance in college and was given the opportunity to choreograph, etc. I have lately missed this passion of mine this year...

I used to attend dance competitions and conventions each year, one of which being Tremaine in Dallas. I took several classes over the years with Doug Caldwell, an amazing dancer, choreographer, and inspirational man.

I remember my senior year, I had been going through a time when I had dated a guy on and off for a year or so, and after several break-ups began to learn personally for myself, where to put my worth and belief in myself, in my God. I remember a particular class I went to of Doug's where I danced to a song with lyrics that I felt as if I were living out at the moment, and I began to draw on personal life experiences and see dance in a new light as a way to express my feelings, my life, and experiences. It was such a healing and relieving experience. I always remember walking away from many such dance classes, exhausted, but calmed and full of peace and a quiet energy and renewal of my spirit.

Later in college, I joined a Christian sorority and attended many retreats with my sorority sisters, where we would have speakers and fellowship with one another. These weekends I cherished as a chance to get away from everyday life and connect and focus on my Savior and Redeemer. I always came back with a filled heart and blessed with amazing times of worship and solitude with my God.

Sometime in college I had the idea of how amazing it would be to combine the two. To create a retreat for young girls high school or college age that would involve dance classes with leaders and teachers that could take the dance, the movement, the lyrics, and turn them into devotionals. How renewing this would be! It has been my private dream...This video reminded me of this, because I have always wanted to choreograph a dance to "I Can Only Imagine." I remember my freshman year in college when this song came out, I was growing leaps and bounds in my personal relationship with Him, and "Will I dance before you Jesus or in awe of you be still?" rang true to my heart.

I Can Only Imagine Video

I am overjoyed at the thought of one day dancing before my Lord!

No comments: